Thursday, January 15, 2009

therapy

I've posted before about how I seem to care too much about what people think, and with my vast amount of knowledge in the psychology department, I have devised my own type of therapy.

I don't really get the chance to sing in the shower because everyone is still sleeping when I take care of that aspect of my personal hygiene, although, I believe myself to be more of a listener than a singer in the shower anyway... so.... my only other outlet of singing as loud as I want (without drawing serious attention to myself) is in the car. Which is where my therapy comes in.

Normally when there is a song on in my car and I really really want to sing it loud, I drive in ways that don't let people see me. For instance, when I pull up to a stop light I will stop either just past or just behind the car next to me so that whoever is in the car won't be able to see me, this buys me about a minute of free crooning. I recall that once or twice I even held up my cellular to my ear and sang like I was talking to someone (there is a good chance that I will regret sharing that last gem of information). However, as a side note, that is a very good way to ward off those pesky people in the mall that always want to ask you a question about your nails or hair or cell service provider... anyway...

My therapy is this: I need to learn to relax a little...ok, a lot... so whenever I am in the car and want to sing, I make myself sing exactly how I want to, which is really loud, which also translates into looking completely absurd to any passers by. I'm hoping this small step out of my box will be a starting step towards caring less.... we'll see.

BTW... if you happen to see me during one of my therapy session, please point and laugh, I think it will make the process a little more successful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lacey--Glad you know how to hold a therapy session. Remember how many people love you and think you're wonderful--like me!!