Sunday, January 27, 2013

Mates, Dates, and Inflatable Bras

That was the name of a book I read once. I don't remember anything about it, so it must not have been very good. But the title stuck with me obviously.

Dates. Dates. Dates. That is mostly what started this here post.

I think that I need to go on a string of really spectacular dates in order to restored my faith in the practice. In the meantime, I am slowly coming up with my own rules for dating. Please don't judge too harshly, and if you have any to add, by all means, feel free to do so.

In no particular order:

1- The latest to make the list is no dating in the ward. To some that may sound counter-productive for someone like me in a singles ward, but I'm just not going to do it anymore. It works out for other people, but doesn't seem to work out for me.
2- In an effort to keep my options open (mostly to keep me from being a picky snob), I have adopted a 2 date minimum policy. If I am asked out a second time, I will say yes. Sometimes first dates are stressful, and people aren't their best, so both of us can relax on a second and less stressful (hopefully) date. I hate to be too blunt here, but I am pretty confident in my first date abilities; however, I know what it is like to not be on my A game, and regret it after.
3- After the second date, if I am not interested, I must be more direct in my "break up." No beating around the bush, or simply wussing out all together. My trying to be kind and not hurt feelings gets twisted and then we just end up in a bigger mess.
4- Be open minded. But don't settle. And no talking myself into it.... Which we all know, I am good at.
5- Try my best to enjoy dating. Sometimes it just really sucks... you know what, but if I am lucky it will be temporary and I will never have to do it again. Plus, it isn't all bad. Sometimes it can be quite fun too.

Ugh. Dating. The end.

2 comments:

Annie said...

I'm such a Lacey fan. I think these are excellent dating rules. And I think you are all sorts of wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Glad to know your dating status but don't give up--Mr. Right is there someplace. Keep me up to date, though, even a phone call will do.