Friday, February 19, 2010

Project #3

Old, outdated hope chest of my mothers (gifted to her for high school graduation) + My need for a piece of furniture at the end of my bed = Project!

Sorry excuse for the before: The only thing that is really before is the fabric.

With sweet hardware like so: (that is not attached in the picture above because the chest itself has already been refinished, my signature afterthought of the "before" picture)


So I sanded the bugger down and re-stained it black. I didn't just want to paint it black because I wanted to keep the grain of the wood.


I forgot to mention that the 1st reason I started this project, before the need for a piece of furniture, is that I found this upholstery fabric that I just HAD to find something to use it for. Took a celly pic of the fabric before finding the right project for it. Enter the chest..... When I went back to pick up the beautiful stuff... you guessed it... it was gone. In the weeks that it took me to sand the chest, I went to all 3 JoAnns in the valley twice a piece looking for it. No dice. SERIOUS bummer.


Resigned to my fate of never finding the allusive fabric, I selected a different, totally sassy fabric... Zebra! (to the surprise of my mother, who was quite cold to the idea originally, but warmed right up to the finished product. The master has become the student... HA!)


And there you have it.


2 comments:

Jill Clark said...

I can't tell you when I saw it (maybe a few weeks ago) but I saw that same fabric when I was looking for stuff for my headboard. I fell in love with it as well, but didn't have anything to do with it. I'm sorry you couldn't find it when you wanted it! It still turned out adorable, I love it!

Jennie said...

YOU ARE TALENTED! How did you do the fabric over the top? How did you make it pulled tight and everything? It looks fabulous Lacy!